Joe Biden is the 46th president of the United States. His presidential term began in January 2021, and he has a long history in politics. He was elected as senator in the state of Delaware at age 29 and was re-elected to this position six times.
He left the Senate when he became vice president of the United States in 2009 under President Barack Obama.
- Joe Biden grew up in a middle-class family in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and New Castle County, Deleware.
- Biden is the oldest president in American History. He was 78 when elected president, and this was the third time he had run for president.
- Biden was a stutterer as a child and into his 20’s. He was bullied because of his difficulty with speech. He overcame the problem by himself by reciting Irish poetry in front of a mirror.
- He graduated from the University of Delaware when he was 23 and from law school at Syracuse University in New York when he was 26.
- Biden married Neilia Hunter in 1966 and they later had three children, two boys and one girl. In 1972, Neilia and their one-year-old daughter were killed in a tragic car accident. The two little boys were injured.
- Joe Biden married Jill Jacobs in 1977 and they have one daughter together. Jill taught English and reading in high schools for 13 years and is currently a college English professor.
- Biden played as wide receiver and halfback on his high school football team. One year they were undefeated and Joe was a leading scorer.
- Biden is Catholic and regularly attends Sunday Mass. He is the second Catholic U.S. president, after John F. Kennedy.
- He is a car enthusiast. His father gave him a 1067 Corvette Stingray as a wedding present and he still drives it.
- Joe Biden doesn’t drink alcohol or smoke, and he loves ice cream.
- Biden is very close with his family and has seven grandchildren. He loves keeping in contact with his grandchildren and they helped with his presidential campaign.
- Stutterer: Someone who has a disorder that makes it difficult to speak smoothly. They often pause and repeat syllables. Stutterers know what they want to say, they just have a hard time saying it.
- Mass: The main worship service of the Catholic Church.
- Senator: A person who works in government to represent their state.
Questions and Answers
Question: How long will Joe Biden be the president of the United States?
Answer: Joe Biden will be the president of the United States for four years. After four years, he can choose to run again for a second four-year term. Eight years is the maximum amount of time someone can be president.
Watch a video about President Joe Biden
Joe Biden True or False Worksheet